We are getting closer to the start of the school year! Please read some updates below.
During the school year, we will be sending home a monthly newsletter with a focus and update from each grade level in the school! We hope this new communication tool will give you more information on what is happening in all of our classrooms at Washington Oak.
We look forward to starting the school year!
Please follow us on Facebook!
Thank you to Michelle Coen for an amazing BINGO night! We had standing room only in the cafeteria! Families had an amazing time playing and shopping.
Thank you to our PTA!
The PTA hosted the Planetarium Assembly last Thursday! The kids enjoyed the show in our gymnasium. Students learned how to identify every planet in our solar system in dramatic "flights" towards each world. They were guided through the stars of the Northern Hemisphere and were engaged in the navigation of the solar system.
Teacher Appreciation Week was a great success! Every day, the teachers were celebrated with gifts, food and thank you messages. Thank you for all of your support.
Upcoming End of Year Events
Field Day will be on June 8th for all students. We are having some of our grade 5 students run the stations, so parent volunteers will not be needed. The grade 5 students are very excited for this opportunity! We will be sure to take pictures and videos to highlight the exciting events of the day.
The Last Day of School is on June 21st. It will be a 1/2 day for students.
Grade 5 End of Year Celebrations
Rhode Island Next Generation Science Assessment (NGSA)
Grade 5 students will complete the science assessment on May 21st and May 22nd. There will be a practice assessment on May 14th. Please ensure students are well rested and arrive on time for the assessment.
What's Happening At Washington Oak?
*In the pictures above, preschool students are enjoying hands on buoyancy activities, a lesson from Ms. Ali and stories.
*Mrs. McKinney's class are sharing their Toy Projects with the class. I was able to catch many presentations and was very impressed with what the grade 5 students created.
*Ms. Seits Grade 1 students were working on math stations and expanded form of numbers.
*Mrs. Bibeault's class was working on giving writing glows and grows.
Spring Pictures are on Wednesday, April 25th
The Washington Oak Listening Session with School Committee Chair, Kathy Patenaude and Superintendent, Craig Levis will take place on Wednesday evening at 7pm
Wallaby School Store is this Friday!
Washington Oak Night of Arts
The Cat in the Hat came to visit Washington Oak!
Thank you to Michelle Coen for organizing this special visit for our students in grades PreK-2!
Our PlayWorks Recess is Back!
Last school year, we re-structured recess by including more group games that all students could be a part of! We added four square courts, soccer nets, a tether ball, a volleyball net and LOTS more balls to play with. Each week, one of our teacher assistants has a group game that any student can join on the grass. This week is potato sack races!
Washington Oak recess was also just featured in a Scholastic News article!!
Please see some important updates below. Thank you!
1. Original Works Art Work is coming home on Thursday of this week! You will have the opportunity to purchase your child's artwork that you can wear and share! Forms are due back on April 13th.
2. Report Cards are coming home on Wednesday, March 28th.
3. Parent- Teacher conferences are on April 5th and 6th. Teachers will be sending home a form stating if they feel a conference is necessary at this time. You are also able to request a conference, if you feel one is needed. If you have any questions, please stop by the main office during conference time on either day.
4. Texas Road House Night- Come by tomorrow night (3-27) to Texas Road House for dinner to support Washington Oak! The Mandese Family and Mrs. Jacquard will be in attendance if you want to stop by our table to say HI!
5. RICAS testing in grades 3-5 starts next week. Please take a look at the schedule on our website. http://washingtonoak.weebly.com/ricas-schedule.html
6. Pennies for Patients update: So far we have $791.43 of our $3000.00 goal. We still have 2 more weeks to reach the goal and Silly String Mrs. Mandese and Mrs. Jacquard. The top classrooms for last week were; blue pod: Mrs.Tandy pre-K, green pod, Miss Gorter grade 2, and in the red pod Mrs. McKinney grade 5. Remember that you can also donate online at: www.studentseries.org/find-your-school.
Principal at Washington Oak Elementary School